How to install Magento 2¶
Magento is an ecommerce platform built on open source technology which provides online merchants with a flexible shopping cart system, as well as control over the look, content and functionality of their online store. Magento offers powerful marketing, search engine optimization, and catalog-management tools. Ref. Wikipedia.
This installation guide will show you how to install Magento 2 latest version on your own server or shared hosting.
Getting started: select solution¶
There are some solutions we can get started.
- Install from Zip file: Easy installation, no command line.
- Metapackage: Use Composer to install Magento
- Install from Git repository: Contributing developer
In this guide, we will show to how to install as #1 solution. It is easy to get start.
Before you continue, make sure you’ve done all of the following:
Download Magento packages¶
Now go to Github to download latest releases for Magento Community Edition (CE).
Upload to your server¶
Let’s download a zip file and now time to upload it to the server. You can use WinSCP, Filezilla to upload it to the server, then extract it to public_html directory (let’s call it: Magento root directory).
If you are using shared hosting, you can use unzip/exact feature to exact Magento package.
If you are running on your server, let follow the commands:
|.tar.gz||tar zxf <filename>|
Add write permission for the following folders:
var app/etc pub
Running the Setup Wizard¶
The Setup Wizard is a multi-page wizard that enables you to go back and forward one page at a time. You cannot skip pages, and you must enter all required information on every page before you can proceed to the next page.
- Enter the following URL in your browser address bar:
- On the initial page, click Agree and Set Up Magento.
Continue with the following topics in the order presented to complete the installation.
Step 1: Readiness Check¶
- Click Start Readiness Check.
If any errors display, you must resolve them before you continue. Click More detail if available to see more information about each check.
Step 2: Add a Database¶
Fill database information then click Next
Step 3: Web Configuration¶
Enter the following information:
- Your Store Address: http://www.example.com
- Magento Admin Address: Enter the relative URL by which to access the Magento Admin. e.g: admin
Then click Next
Step 4: Customize Your Store¶
- From the Store Default Time Zone list, click the name of your store’s time zone.
- From the Store Default Currency list, click the default currency to use in your store.
- From the Store Default Language list, click the default language to use in your store.
- Expand Advanced Modules Configuration to optionally enable or disable modules before you install the Magento software.
- Click Next
Use Skip dependency check for individual modules with caution. We recommend against it because a typical reason for this error is you manually edited the deployment configuration. Editing the deployment configuration is not recommended because future Magento software updates can undo your changes.
Step 5: Create Admin Account¶
Now enter admin information such as
- New Username
- New E-Mail
- New Password
- Confirm Password
Then click Next
Step 6: Install¶
After completing all preceding steps in the Setup Wizard, click Install Now.
The message Success displays to indicate a successful installation.
Now go to frontend, backend to see result